WC 51/52/55 Hidden Taillights

Discussion area for - Engine swaps, Drive Train changes, interior, exterior mods, etc.

WC 51/52/55 Hidden Taillights

Postby ng19delta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:36 am

Having decided not to sell her after all, I went back and started what I consider an important modification- "invisible" taillights for driving use when not at an event etc- something I had been working out in my head for some time. I have seen some bad, and some ugly taillight additions- from bolt on or magnet mount attachments thrown on, to taillamps in place of the rear reflectors, which did not look at all correct... So I decided some proper camouflage was in order.

I started by removing the rear reflectors, and putting a hole centered between the bolt holes. I then enlarged this, and then used a Grenlee punch to take it out to a large enough size to fit the bolt for a large punch...
Once the hole was opened up, I removed the reflector from the housing, and put it back without the backplate: This left a transparent red reflector in place over the hole. With the reflector in place this way, it looks quite accurate- as it is simply the reflector in place- over a hole...

With the addition of a flush mount taillight equipped with a clear lens mounted inside the toolbox, the reflector now becomes the colored lens for the taillight assembly. My photo shows the lamp unit temporarily installed using green tape... I will be making a pair of adapter plates, which will mount to the reflector bolts(screws), and will have three screws to mount the lamp unit to. I will also be cutting holes into the reflector retainer backings, and using some silicone sealant to seal the reflector to the body & prevent water ingress.

With the addition of some power, the lens glows nicely: I think I may grind the reflector prisms down a little, to improve the light transfer, but even so, it seems to have a good glow. I will also be adding some silver reflective paint inside the taillight housing, to additionally improve the light output.

For the front, I am converting a damaged pair of blackout marker lamps to be turn signals... From the outside, they will look normal, but will be relocated from where the regular ones are: If I work it right, they shouldn't be highly visible until the turn signals are operated.

The lights will all be controlled through a somewhat period self cancelling after market turn signal switch: Given the switch configuration, I can set it up to make the rear auxiliary brake lights operate as either brake lights or turn signals, just like a modern car... For WWII events, I will have the switch on a quick detach mounting, and a quick disconnect wiring harness, so all will appear as original in photos...

I got pics of it in the dark, from about 20 feet, or one car length or so back. Looks good to me! I did regular lamp & brake light...

Scott
ng19delta

Re: WC 51/52/55 Hidden Taillights

Postby ng19delta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 am

Today, other than the wiring, I finished up the hardware install for the hidden taillight mod... Here's a picture of the adapter bracket- simply a piece of sheet steel with the same hole cut in the body & the reflector lens retainer, plus 3 holes for the #10-24 screws which hold the taillamp unit in place, and the two holes for the reflector mounting screws, which hold the plate onto the panel.

The lens, showing the hole through, from behind-

Bracket installed-

Interior of lamp unit painted with chrome paint, to increase reflectivity-

The taillight units, installed-

And the end result-

I'll take a set of pics tomorrow when I have the truck out & can get some better shots... All in all, a nice install, and relatively easy! Can't wait to see how they look when wired!

Scott
ng19delta

Postby ng19delta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Four hours of frustration welding the fuel tank seam(from where I'd cut it so I could repair it...) over to close up the leaks in the weld: And guess what- IT IS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE! How the??? ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Anyway, chucked it in the trunk of the car to take to a shop, but I may clean it & do the POR-15 sealant fix, and then pressurize it to push the sealant into those holes... from the inside, then POR-15 coat the outside of the weld & paint it all... Gonna take some more time.

At least I got a chance to take pics of the taillamps at night-

And with brake lights on- Image

I'm thinking once this is all wired up, it will be a very useful mod...

Scott
ng19delta

Postby Monkey Man » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:54 pm

This is well thought out and a professional looking product when completed, a good mod and an excellent way to have hidden modernisation, Leds may make for a more rugged product but what you have built is 100% on the money....

MM
Monkey Man

Return to Modifications